We use cookies to enhance your experience on our website. By continuing to use our website, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Find out more

Contents

SIPRI Yearbook 2016

SIPRI Yearbook 2016

II. Regional trends and developments

Chapter:
7. Peace operations and conflict management
Source:
SIPRI Yearbook 2016
Author(s):
Jaïr van der Lijn

Africa has generally been the continent where most peace operations have taken place in recent years (see figure 7.5). This was certainly the case in 2015. Of the 61 multilateral peace operations that were active during the year, 26 were located in African countries, including 6 missions with more than 10 000 personnel (see section V). Three of the four missions launched in 2015 were deployed to African countries. More than 80 per cent of all United Nations peace operation personnel (94 616 of the 113 660) were deployed in Africa. Together, peace operations in Africa comprised 119 945 personnel, which was approximately 75 per cent of the total number of peace operation personnel in 2015. The remaining 25 per cent (42 758 personnel) were deployed in 35 missions in the Americas, Asia and the Pacific, Europe and the Middle East (see table 7.1).

Citation (MLA):
van der Lijn, Jaïr. "7. Peace operations and conflict management." SIPRI Yearbook. SIPRI. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2016. Web. 18 Dec. 2018. <http://www.sipriyearbook.org/view/9780198787280/sipri-9780198787280-chapter-007-div1-055.xml>.
Citation (APA):
van der Lijn, J. (2016). 7. Peace operations and conflict management. In SIPRI, SIPRI Yearbook 2016: Armaments, Disarmament and International Security. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Retrieved 18 Dec. 2018, from http://www.sipriyearbook.org/view/9780198787280/sipri-9780198787280-chapter-007-div1-055.xml
Citation (Chicago):
van der Lijn, Jaïr. "7. Peace operations and conflict management." In SIPRI Yearbook 2016: Armaments, Disarmament and International Security, SIPRI. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016). Retrieved 18 Dec. 2018, from http://www.sipriyearbook.org/view/9780198787280/sipri-9780198787280-chapter-007-div1-055.xml
The SIPRI Yearbook online requires a subscription or purchase to access its full text (purchase of a print copy of the 2010-2016 yearbooks also provides access to some content). Unsubscribed users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
Please log in to access full text content, or find out more about how to subscribe.
If you think you should have access to this service, please contact your librarian.