We use cookies to enhance your experience on our website. By continuing to use our website, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Find out more

Contents

SIPRI Yearbook 2011

SIPRI Yearbook 2011

III. Acquisitions by companies based in non-OECD countries

Chapter:
5. Arms production
Source:
SIPRI Yearbook 2011
Author(s):
Vincent Boulanin

Several acquisitions in 2010 by companies based in non-OECD countries were notable as they reflected the strategies of potential challengers competing against the more established arms producers. Motivated to expand its presence in Europe, UAE-based MAR acquired various assets from ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems, including Blohm + Voss Shipyards in Hamburg and ThyssenKrupp Hellenic Shipyards.14 India’s Mahindra and Mahindra took over the South Korean military vehicle producer SsangYong Motor for $463 million.15 Another Indian firm, Tata Advanced Systems, bought a 74 per cent share in the India-based HBL ELTA Avionics Systems, as part of a joint venture with Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), which owns the remaining 26 per cent share through its subsidiary ELTA Systems.16

Citation (MLA):
Boulanin, Vincent. "5. Arms production." SIPRI Yearbook. SIPRI. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2016. Web. 14 Aug. 2018. <http://www.sipriyearbook.org/view/9780199695522/sipri-9780199695522-div1-62.xml>.
Citation (APA):
Boulanin, V. (2016). 5. Arms production. In SIPRI, SIPRI Yearbook 2011: Armaments, Disarmament and International Security. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Retrieved 14 Aug. 2018, from http://www.sipriyearbook.org/view/9780199695522/sipri-9780199695522-div1-62.xml
Citation (Chicago):
Boulanin, Vincent. "5. Arms production." In SIPRI Yearbook 2011: Armaments, Disarmament and International Security, SIPRI. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016). Retrieved 14 Aug. 2018, from http://www.sipriyearbook.org/view/9780199695522/sipri-9780199695522-div1-62.xml
The SIPRI Yearbook online requires a subscription or purchase to access its full text (purchase of a print copy of the 2010-2016 yearbooks also provides access to some content). Unsubscribed users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
Please log in to access full text content, or find out more about how to subscribe.
If you think you should have access to this service, please contact your librarian.